Saturday, January 12, 2013

Race Report * New Years Double!

For some reason I decided it would be a good idea to run back to back half marathons on new years eve morning and new years day morning. It sounded like an appropriate challenge on the road to my first FULL marathon. I have to admit that the well designed race shirts and awesome medals were a big reason I signed up. Everyone (including the 5k runners) got an individual medal for each race. If you completed both races you also received a large magnetic challenge plate.


The weather was kind of cold and rainy at the start of both races, but thankfully it was a small enough event that you could hide out in the car and be at the starting corral with not much time spent in the elements. I tried to run with a poncho for a while, but I found I just cant stand it for too long.

The first race was good. My time suffered due to a bathroom stop and much hip/ankle pain, but I finished! Michael did really well with his first 5k in a while. We spent the day recovering and trying not to ruin the next race by eating crazy holiday things or drinking too much- Happy New Year!


The second day I was so sore. Unfortunately the pain in my hip and ankle decided to hang around and become even worse for the second race. I ran the first half and painfully limped the second half. My time was terrible, but I was just glad to finish and walk away with a huge hunk of a medal and only one blister. I would love to do this race again, but hopefully free of my pesky hip injury. I resolve to STRETCH more in 2013.








No comments:

Post a Comment