Friday, November 30, 2012

141 days and NOT counting

Back in July I started a running streak. I'd run my normal training days and then make sure I did one easy mile on days when I wasn't scheduled to run. Up until yesterday I had run 141 days in a row (almost all of the days that I've lived in Little Rock.) I know we need rest as runners, but 1 easy mile is *practically* nothing once you are used to high miles- right?



Over the weekend I ran my first 14 miles ever and it actually didn't feel too bad. Tuesday was a 7 mile day. I don't often think to myself "I feel great" while running (that usually comes after I'm finished) but on Tuesday I remember feeling really strong. That good feeling ended at mile 6. I felt a weird sensation in my hip, almost like muscles were moving in a way they shouldn't. It felt a twinge of pain and it seemed as if my hip was dislocating slightly. I stopped running and the sensation immediately went away. Thinking it was a fluke thing, I cautiously started running again. The sensation came back about .25 miles later. The pain stopped as soon as I began walking again.

The next morning I went out for an easy 1 mile, and it happened again. I've never had a serious running injury, so this is pretty troubling. I'm not sure what it is or what to do about it, as I am "between health insurance policies" at the moment. Are my hips tight? Is it bursitis? Should I stretch? Should I rest & ice? Whatever is happening, it's clear that I should probably stop running and cross my fingers that it clears up before the white rock (Dallas Marathon) next weekend. 

So, my running streak has bit the dust and the upcoming races that I'm signed up for suddenly seem like scary question marks. I'm signed up for White Rock (half), New Year's Double (double half)  & Little Rock Marathon (full) *gulp* Being injured is a drag. I miss the beautiful trails already.

No comments:

Post a Comment